Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Not a good start to the week

I have just started working with a new customer and my first assignment was to help feed and water their existing OCS R1 environment.



On Friday night I left the office with only one thing on my mind, how to avoid Trick or Treaters. The weekend passed all too quickly and I arrived on Monday morning with queries left, right and center from people that couldn't log into Communicator. Unbeknownst to me, my customer's service provider (who by the way doesn't manage the OCS environment) decided to do some patching over the weekend. This was great other than the fact that they had loaded KB974571 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974571) which, as we know will basically kill your OCS R1 boxes.



Thankfully there was plenty of noise around this issue and even though I hadn't had my morning coffee, I was able to quickly work out what had happened. I ran the fix available @ http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=168248 , I was able to start the OCS Services and all was well again in the world. I even managed to appear like I was doing some work :-p


So for Matt's 5 cents:
As this fix is able to be run before or after KB974571 is loaded, I recommend going ahead and loading it now as your Wintel guys might be more enthusiastic than you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment